Monday 13 July 2015

Vietnam Job

I went to Vietnam for a job in year 2007, the job is again as the HLO and HSE Officer on board a work barge.

This job is a bit challenging due to I have to certified the barge heli deck to enable chopper land on it. Without the certification the Chopper wouldn't land on that barge heli deck.

I was travel from KL to Singapore to meet my agent and from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City. The agent assist me in applying the Visa for me to enter Vietnam.

I face a little bit stopper on my work progress which is coordination with local Vietnam vendor. I have to work with the vendor through the process, but I'm not the one that contact them. It was arranged by the vessel agent. I need to prepare the heli deck before the barge being towed to Thailand. The barge having a job contract serves as flotilla or accommodation for a new offshore platform module hook up and commissioning project.

I have to conduct heli deck load test, ensure the paint work according  To  CAP437  Standards for Offshore Helicopter Landing Areas. Prior to secure the contract the barge was only being used within Vietnam water and not require International Certification form the heli deck. Therefore I need to change a lot of the system to confirm with International Standard.

I am very much occupied with all sort of testing and sending all the test report to the certification body and refer to the checklist to ensure I didn't miss anything. The ongoing refurbishment job within the vessel also conflicting  with my job progress as I have to control access to the heli deck area.

A bit more explanation on the load test, actually I use water weight to do the test, amount of water equal to weight of the expected helicopter to land on the deck is being hold into the water bag and put on top of the heli deck for required duration. This is to ensure the heli deck capable to hold the load properly.

Hammock test in the CAP 437 is a test requirement states that the net should be strong enough to withstand and contain, without damage, a 100 kg weight dropped from a height of 1 meter and the ideal design should produce a ‘hammock’ effect which should securely contain a body falling, rolling or jumping into it, without serious injury. This test also was performed during the period around the heli deck perimeter net.

The painting work i.e size and type of paint/ color also must be actually as per the indication in the CAP437. I have to ask the crew to repaint for some painting which not meet the criteria as per in the guideline.

The lighting also was changed as the old one is not meet the CAP437 requirement. The whole process took about 2 weeks to complete.

Finally I mange to secure the Certificate for the Heli deck to be operational internationally. Then our barge being towed to our work location within Thai water.













No comments:

Post a Comment